Saturday, December 8, 2007

Now we are slaving! II

So, it is finally time to replace the slave cylinder. After all, I put a new master and have made a new clutch line. It is probably a good idea to just do it and then know the entire clutch system is a known and reliable quantity. So, I bought a new slave cylinder:
I think I will also put my new clutch line while I am at it. So, let's get busy. I chose to begin by blocking the rubber hose that goes from the brake reservoir to the clutch. Reason is that we are going to have the clutch system opened; there is not point in wasting more brake fluid than necessary.
Next I thought on cleaning as much as I can around the slave cylinder. You know, I do like to have as little goo in my way as possible.
We need to remove the pin that goes from the slave cylinder through the clutch. As soon as I remember its name I will add it here. In any case, we have to pop the cover on the front of the transmission to slide the pin out. We will also need a proper instrument of persuasion:
After some persuasion, the pin is out:
Then, we need to remove the clutch line from the slave cylinder, which requires to first remove the bleeder valve. I really need to find a better way to do this, like make a special tool to disconnect the line or something. In any case, once the line is out, it is time to unbolt the slave cylinder itself. I found the best way to use it was to get a L-shaped 5mm Allen key. With a long L so it is easy to break the bolts loose. But, I have to say Allen bolts scare the hell out of me; I tend to round them off. I may replace them with more normal bolts later on...
Ok, slave cylinder is loose. Now we need to also loose the clutch itself. Reason is there is not enough space to remove the slave cylinder by itself; we have to remove it with the clutch. And, yes, the flywheel could use some cleaning.
Now it is a matter of walking the slave cylinder and the clutch out. It is a bit of herding cats, but it is doable. Just do not be in a hurry. That said, putting them back in will be much easier. More on that later.
Here is the clutch still sitting over the pressure plate. I thought on keeping them together so I do not get confused or lose anybody.
Here is the other side of the two, showing the clutch tool still holding the pressure plate fingers.
Now, let's make putting the new slave cylinder easier: zip tie it to the pressure plate. This way you have one less cat to herd.
Now, do not separate the slave cylinder from the pressure plate or install the pressure plate against the flywheel just yet. You need to be able to reach the clutch for the next step. Then we need to put the pin back in place. It is not as hard as it sounds. While the slave cylinder is still tied to the pressure plate, try to grab the clutch plate and line it up some. I did by pulling the pressure plate away from the flywheel and then lifted the clutch plate as I slid the pin through the transmission. You will know it went through the clutch plate because it will be about an inch or so out. After that you need some persuasion because it kinda has to pop into place. The same tool I used to take the pin out is the same one I am using to press it back in. All was need is a place to lever it.
Make sure the pressure plate is lined up with the flywheel's pins. This way we can only worry about the slave cylinder. Once the pressure plate is sitting on the pins, it would not hurt to run one of the bolts that hold it against the flywheel, so it will not fall out while worrying about the slave cylinder. After that, line up the slave cylinder, cut the zip ties, and bolt it in place.
Finally, it is a matter of bleeding it, putting the cover and the rest of the stuff back, and trying it out.

1 comment:

Keyz said...

Tanks for sharing your great job! How did you centered the clutch disk (by tieing it with the clutch)?