Saturday, September 8, 2007

Roach Motel (or changing spark plugs)

So, this afternoon I decided to take the cover that hides the spark plug wires and put new plugs. I had bought new plugs, NGK , and gapped them to 0.026". Now it was time to put them in. The plate in question is held by 4 torx screws. After I took them off, I found a 2.5"-long (no, I did not put it on a ruler to check; that would have required me to work) cockroach staring back at me.

After the proper introductions took place, I could not help but wonder how it got in there. I mean, I know roaches can squeeze through some tight places. Not willing to let me in the dark, our large antennae friend showed me the way by going through it. Underneath where the wires exit the head is a rectangular hole, possibly to let water out or just to let roaches in. For some reason I do not accept the story it is to let the water out. Look at the spark plug holes: they are recessed in the head. If this was a motorcycle, they would have a little tunnel right at the bottom so water that finds itself inside the spark plug hole would have a way to get out (remember, boys and girls, to keep that tunnel clean of dirt in your motorcycle!). But, I did not see such a tunnel in the head. I am confused.

In any case, look back at head a bit more closely. Those black round somethings are, as far as I can gather (including nose check: they did smell awful), roach poop. I did not know they poop -- that does show how much I know about them -- but that is the only explanation I can come up with. I did clean as much as I could but it is still not perfect. At least I changed the spark plugs.

Why did I want to replace the spark plugs to begin with? Well, let's just say the old ones looked rather nasty. Quite nasty in a rather oily kind of way, if you ask me. It does make me wonder if there was any leaks or head gasket issues in this engine.

Let's examine the spark plugs a bit more closely. Look at the gap of an old plug compared with the ones I bought. See the difference? I wonder what chances the spark would have to jump such a gap. BTW, the distributor cap and rotor look work but otherwise ok. However, since they are cheap, I will probably just replace them.

No comments: