Sunday, September 30, 2007

Ding Dong! The grommet's out, the grommet's out! The wicked grommet's out.

Yesterday I've managed to get the remainder of that grommet out. I feel much better! At first I thought I would need some kind of McGuyver solution, but it turned out that all I needed was my trusty forceps. The first picture shows the grommet piece out, sitting on the top of the intake manifold enjoying the day.

Next picture shows how useful the forceps was. It could reach all the way to the bottom of the intake manifold without effort. So, all I needed was good aim; I looked through the open throttle body, just like the picture, while I moved the teeth of the forceps until grabbing the gelatinous piece. As you can see, in the picture it was still a bit to the right. Problem solved. Now I need to get a new grommet, which should not be a problem. However, I had this weird thought in my mind: one of the possible causes for this grommet to fail would be brake fluid leaking/being sucked from the master cylinder into the intake. But, the hose that provides vacuum to the brake booster is on the side of the intake manifold, not on the top. And, it looks in great shape. So, should I discard that as a possible cause?

No comments: