Thursday, October 4, 2007

The amazing engine spinning dance II

So, I tried to spin the engine by holding onto the AC compressor belt. I tool the spark plugs out (in this picture they are just sitting there enjoying the show), put the transmission in neutral, grabbed the belt, and tried to turn it. Maybe I am a wimp, but I just could not do it. I tried and tried and the engine would not even think on the possibility of turning. That made me feel rather concerned: could the engine be frozen?

That also told me I should then suck it up and continue taking enough parts to get to the clutch cover so I could turn the engine there. As far as I could figure out, the cover is held by 5 bolts: two 13mm on each side by the bottom (on the transmission?) and 3 10mm on the back, against the engine. By now I had pulled every single hose attached to the turbo and the two that go from the throttle body to the idle control valve (ICV). I moved the harnesses out of the way, but still could not take the cover off. I eventually got annoyed -- mostly at myself -- and yanked it just enough so I could see the flywheel by the starter (hmmm, I might see about yanking the starter and having it checked). Then, I shoved a screwdriver and turned the engine! So, it must not be seized.

Next step: test starter. Then drain old fuel, put everything back together, and try to fire it up.

It is getting closer...

No comments: