Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Clutch does not reply

One of the things I really wanted to do was to get the clutch to work. You see, when the engine is on, I cannot put the car in gear unless I mash the shifter into the gear. Now that is not the way I envisioning shifting gears. When I press the clutch pedal, it moves without any effort at all for the first 2/3rds of the travel. Then, there is some resistance. But that is still too soft, as in I can push the pedal down to the bottom of its travel with my hand.

My first instinct was there is air in the lines. So, I need to bleed them. Even thought it looks rather rusty, I do not think the clutch master cylinder is leaking because I filled the reservoir in the weekend and it has not come down since. So, I proceeded as one would always do in a master-slave cylinder clutch system: find the slave cylinder,Then break its bleed valve loose,and then bleed the fluid out of it until all the air is out. As I was by myself, I chose to use my old mighty vac pump,
to bleed it out. So, I pumped and pumped and pumped. Nothing. I was pulling quite a lot of vacuum and still no sign of any fluids. I even took the slave cylinder bleed valve and it was completely dry inside.

My plan was not going according to the plan.

After consulting with some friends, we narrowed down to the master cylinder. Something was fishy with it. One possibility was it could not return to its unpressed position, so the little hole in its housing never gets in front of the plunger, which then cannot pump it. Broken spring perhaps? We could go over other possibilities, but in the end the master cylinder is probably boink. So, we need to inspect it, perhaps even remove it. So, here is where it hides:
To get to it, I have to take the vent duct out, which, as I learned today, is a single piece that goes from one side of the cabin to the other. Now, to get the duct out I first need to get the kickpannel out of the car I need to get the knee board out, which is also a single large piece.
And, to take it out, I need first to remove the center console. So, I think I will leave that for another episode...

...or may just add to this episode later on when I do take all those guys out. Stay tuned.

No comments: