Monday, October 22, 2007

The rain, boss the rain!

After my problems trying to clean the stud threads in the turbo downpipe collar, I decided to up the game and switch to caveman mode. According to the tape and die box I had previously bought, the dies have the outside hexagonal shape of 1" bolts. So, I decided to get a socket and then use a ratchet wrench to persuade it. I first went to Lowe's and they only had 12pt sockets. Those can be very convenient but a 6 point socket has a better load distribution.My next step was an auto parts store like NAPA or Advanced Autoparts. There I found a 6point 1" socket, 1/2" drive just like I wanted. It fit the die perfectly (add photo here).

With that new weapon in my arsenal I went back to the Saab and tried it out. I still had to put a lot of elbow grease but it worked flawlessly... as in I did not break any stud or crossthread them.The weather was not looking very inviting. Dark clouds filled the sky.Still, I pressed on hoping I could finish it before the upcoming rain. When I started putting the stainless steel nuts and lock washers I bought (I replaced the rusty factory lock nuts with those because they are easily found and can take the heat), to my pleasure they threaded in quite effortlessly. So, my effort paid off.Then it started to rain. Having my tools -- camera included -- having an unplanned bath was not on my list of things to do today. After careful consideration, I decided the actually tightening of those nuts could wait for another day.I covered the car and walked home. Yet, I felt that what I planned to accomplish today was done.

No comments: