Sunday, October 7, 2007

Fuel Sucky Sucky?

Another thing I was strongly suggested to do by the good folks at Saab Central was to empty the fuel tank. Reason is the car has been sitting for possibly a year, so it is anybody's guess what is right now in the tank. Perhaps the pretrol has evolved into a new life form. Who knows? In any case, it may not be very nice to add mystery fuel as a variable while trying to get the car running.

Without further ado, let's get started:

First thing I did was to disconnect the fuel feed line at the fuel rail. It is not hard to recognize it because it is the long rubber line connected to it by a 17mm banjo bolt. The only other fuel-grade rubber line attached to the rain is really attached to the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator; that is the fuel return line. Anyway, to remove it I used a 17mm wrench on the banjo bolt and a 19mm on the end of the rail as show in the picture below (the 17mm wrench is not there anymore as the banjo bolt is out); Saab provided a place to put a backing wrench so things will not get interesting. Expect fuel to pour out of it.
In Saab Central, it was suggested that the best way to power the fuel pump was to put 12V on the fuel pump fuse. Now, I needed a nearby 12V source as I did not have a wire long enough to go all the way to the battery. Since I was fresh from taking the starter out of the 92 N/A car, it hit me:why not use the thick wire on the back of the starter as the 12V source? After all, it was connected directly to the positive terminal on the battery. And, since I did not plan on disconnecting the wire there to control the pump, I thought that would be safe enough. Also, today we had a really nice wind blowing. Here is a picture of the alligator end of the wire I will be using to power the pump. The other end I left sitting in the little white plier thingie in the fuse box that is used to pick up the fuses. I only take it out of there to touch the fuel pump fuse.
Next was where to put a catch bucket of some sort to pour the fuel in. I had this 2gallon fuel can that seemed to fit just right on the top of the airfilter housing, if I take the housing top and the oil dipstick off . This would allow me to drain the fuel without need in some kind of connectors (less places where it can leak) on the end of the fuel line to extend it away from the car. Also, that would result in having the open fuel container higher than any source of spark. My hope is that petrol vapour will not tend to go down.
Finally, here is how I powered the pump: the end of this wire is actually a banana plug. I touch it against the openings on the fuel pump fuse and it turns the pump on. This is not that fun but it keeps me in control at all times. You can also see the white plastic thingie I mentioned before; I found it just perfect to hold the rather live end of that wire way from metal bits.

And that is where the how I did it part of this episode ends. Now, when I first started that, I thought I would had at most 3 gallons of fuel in the tank. So, the idea was to pump it out and pour it in my Volvo's tank, where it would be mixed with enough good fuel that car would be able to burn it... with a few complains. So, I put two gallons in the can. It smelled like turpentine or something like that. I poured the contents in the Volvo tank. They were yellow. Well, two gallons is not that bad. But, I ended up filling the jug once more... and there was no sign of getting low in the Saab fuel tank. I tried to see if the fuel gauge would tell me how much fuel was still left but the bastard would have no part on this. So, I now have 4 gallons of bad fuel in the Volvo. I think that will do for now. I will burn that before pumping any more fuel out of the Saab.

No comments: