Saturday, October 13, 2007

Light shopping

Today I went junkyard shopping for a few parts and to check the underside of a Saab 900. First, my shifter is in a bit of a bad shape. As you can see, even the plastic with the gear indicator is gone. I also think there are more issues I am not aware of.The 92 900S that is sitting there has a much nicer looking shifter,
For now I only took the plastic cap; I will try later and see if it will work on mine. Maybe I need more, perhaps even the entire shifter. The other item I took was the coolant overflow tank.As you can see on the picture to the left, mine looks rather nasty. I do not know when I will have time to replace it. Tomorrow? During the week? We will see.

In addition to that, I wanted to see if the junkyard staff damaged the bottom of the transmission. You see, they have this awful tendency to puncture a hole in oil and transmission pans to drain them out. Well, there is no suck a pan in a Saab. If they try to puncture a hole they will destroy the transmission case. From the following picture, I think I may breath easier. The yard seemed to have located the drain plugs and just removed them. I can use this transmission if I chose to do so.
Next thing is the cover in the front of the transmission, on the right side. I did not open it, but I plan to and inspect its inside. But that is for another episode.
One thing I was not aware of is that the N/A does not use the long transmission filler tube the turbo does. Instead it is a bolt/plug. I did not remove it but I wonder what lurks underneath it.

No comments: